If you’ve decided to stray from tradition and write your own vows, you may be suffering from the worst kind of writer’s block. Standing in front of a crowd is nerve-racking enough, and now you’re required to share your feelings? I mean, this is the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with. This is the moment you get to profess your love to them in front of your closest family and friends. This may be the biggest day of your entire life. What will you say to seal the deal? What words will make your fiancé cry, laugh, and believe your love is forever? I’m sorry—I’m not being helpful. Here’s the thing: No matter what you say in those few precious minutes, the end result will be the same. You will have made a promise to love and cherish your fiancé forever—and you will be married. That being said, if you want to get it just right, hear it from the experts first, and get inspired!
38 Love Quotes for Your Wedding VowsRemember: these quotes should be used for inspiration or a creative intro. Don’t let the words of someone else overshadow your own.
- “I can conquer the world with one hand, as long as you’re holding the other.” —Unknown
- “It’s so amazing when someone comes to your life and you expect nothing out of it, but suddenly, there right in front of you, is everything you ever need.” —Unknown
- “And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.”—The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
- “The Buddhists say if you meet somebody and your hands shake, your knees go weak, that’s not the one. When you meet your ‘soul mate’ you’ll feel calm. No anxiety, no agitation.”—Monica Drake
- “There comes a time when you meet someone and you just want to make them smile for the rest of your life.” —Unknown
- “He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”—Emily Bronte
- “I didn’t fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we’d choose anyway.”—The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
- “Wherever is your heart I call home.”—Brandi Carlile
- “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, so when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness; and then we call it love.”—Dr. Seuss
- “A relationship means giving the best of yourself to someone that truly deserves it.” —Unknown
- “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that truer friend in his wife.”—Franz Schubert
- “You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.”—Oscar Wilde
- “I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not, to agree to disagree on red velvet cake, and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.”—The Vow
- “I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love. And to always know in the deepest part of my soul that no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find our way back to each other.”—The Vow
- “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more. That plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.”—The Notebook
- “A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.”—Unknown
- “I can’t promise to solve all your problems, but I can promise you won’t have to face them alone.” —Unknown
- “I saw that you were perfect and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.”—Angelita Lim
- “There will be dozens of people who will take your breath away, but the one who reminds you to breathe is the one you should keep.” —Unknown
- “Love is not an affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.”—C.S. Lewis
- “I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, every dream I’ve ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, every day we are together is the greatest day of my life.”—The Notebook
- “To love a person is to see all of their magic, and to remind them of it when they have forgotten.” —Unknown
- “Because of you, I can feel myself slowly but surely becoming the me I have always dreamed of being.”—Tyler Knott Gregson
- “When you meet the one who changes the way your heart beats, dance with them to that rhythm for as long as the song lasts.”—Kirk Diedrich
- “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time.”—Julia Child
- “I have seen the best of you and the worst of you, and I choose both.”—Sarah Kay
- “I will love with urgency, but not with haste.”—Mumford & Sons
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to leave without you.”—Winne the Pooh, A.A. Milne
- “Love is a promise; love is a souvenir. Once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.”—John Lennon
- “Love; it will not betray you. Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free.”—Mumford & Sons
- “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ―
- “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” ―
- “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ―
- “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.” ―
- “So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.” ―
- “We loved with a love that was more than love.” ―
- “Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.” ―
- “For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” ―
13 Tips for Writing Original Wedding Vows:
1. Settle on a format and tone with your fiancé.
You don’t want to follow 2 minutes of jokes from your man with 5 minutes of tear-jerking poetry. Discuss the overall tone you want your words to have, as well as a length you both can handle.
2. Reflect on your relationship.
Before you pick up that pen, look back on your relationship. What brought you to this moment? When did you know they were ‘the one?’ When did you first start falling in love? What memories stand out? A bit of reflection can lead to a lot of writing.
3. Determine your definition of “love” and “marriage.”
Everyone has a different image when they picture the perfect marriage. How do you see it? What will your spouse do for you and what will you do for your spouse? Think about the relationships you admire and how you can use them to influence your own. Remember that this is your promise—there’s no wrong answer.
4. Call out the best in them.
If you’re not sure where to start, why not with compliments? Tell them why you love them, what makes them special, and the qualities they posess that make ‘forever’ possible.
5. Think in terms of promises.
Be honest with them—what can you promise them or at least say you’ll strive for? That may be standing by them through thick and thin, remembering to make their coffee in the morning or never to play the song they hate, or to love them even when you may not like them.
6. Leave out any embarrassing, TMI details.
Remember that you’ll be in front of a crowd—don’t say anything you’ll regret. Leave those TMI details for later.
7. Don’t let quotes and poems overpower your own meaningful words.
I put these 38 quotes in here for a reason, but don’t recite them for 3 minutes. Find one or two that represent your own amazing love and use them as a starting point. Your words will mean far more to your partner than someone else’s.
8. Keep it short and sweet.
2-3 minutes is good length to go for. If you figure out how to say it all in just a few words, that’s fine too.
9. Remember the letter.
Most couples give each other a wedding gift along with a hand-written letter. If your vows get too lengthy, add some of those wonderful words to your letter. It’s also the place for those TMI details you can’t help but share.
10. Give yourself time.
A lot of people like to start writing the night before (or even the day of), but if you’re nervous I recommend giving yourself a little more time.
Give yourself some time to practice them too! Say them out loud, please.
12. Read yours to at least two other people, but don't read it to your spouse-to-be before you two are at the altar!
Practicing is good, yes, but practicing in front of people is better! It's always good to hear an outsider's perspective as well! I'm sure your groomsmen or bridesmaids would be more than willing to help, and I would be surprised if they didn't want to hear your vows before the altar without you even asking them!
13. Save a copy.
You’ll thank me later.
Shop Love Quote Decorations
Every couple loves some good home decor that reflects their love for each other! Here are some cute finds I discovered online that you should order ASAP (trust me--I'm ordering them, too!).
What tips and love quotes did I miss?Do you have a few more romantic love quotes for wedding vows or tips for writing them? Share them in a comment below!
You may also like...