So, you're thinking about writing your own wedding vows? You may be suffering from writer’s block, but believe us - it'll all be worth it. After all, this is the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with! You get to profess your love to them in front of your closest family and friends.
This will be one of the most important days of your entire life. What will you say to seal the deal? What words will make your fiancé cry, laugh, and believe your love is forever? We know this might seem like a lot of pressure. Here’s the thing: No matter what you say in those few precious minutes, the end result will be the same. You will have made a promise to love and cherish your fiancé forever—and you will be married.
That being said, if you want to get it just right, hear it from the experts first, and get inspired!
Dresses from The Wedding Shoppe | Erin Rae Photography
38 Love Quotes for Your Wedding Vows
*Remember: these quotes should be used for inspiration or a creative intro. Don’t let the words of someone else overshadow your own.
Cute Quotes for Couples
1. “I can conquer the world with one hand, as long as you’re holding the other.” —Unknown
2. “And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.”—The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
3. “The Buddhists say if you meet somebody and your hands shake, your knees go weak, that’s not the one. When you meet your ‘soul mate’ you’ll feel calm. No anxiety, no agitation.”—Monica Drake
4. “There comes a time when you meet someone and you just want to make them smile for the rest of your life.” —Unknown
5. "Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new." - Ursula K. Le Guin
6. “I didn’t fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we’d choose anyway.”—The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
7. “Wherever is your heart I call home.”—Brandi Carlile
8. “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, so when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness; and then we call it love.”—Dr. Seuss
9. "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you cannot live without." - P.S. I Love You
10. “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more. That plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.”—The Notebook
11. “A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.”—Unknown
12. “I saw that you were perfect and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.”—Angelita Lim
13. "My heart's been borrowed and yours has been blue. All's well that ends well to end up with you" —Taylor Swift
14. “Because of you, I can feel myself slowly but surely becoming the me I have always dreamed of being.”—Tyler Knott Gregson
15. "I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once." - The Fault In Our Stars
16. “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time.”—Julia Child
17. “I have seen the best of you and the worst of you, and I choose both.”—Sarah Kay
18. “I will love with urgency, but not with haste.”—Mumford & Sons
19. “You are my greatest adventure.” —Up
20. “Love is a promise; love is a souvenir. Once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.”—John Lennon
21. “Love; it will not betray you. Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free.”—Mumford & Sons
22. “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ― Dr. Seuss
23. "I swear I couldn’t love you more than I do right now, and yet I know I will tomorrow." - Leo Christopher
Love Quotes for Him
24. "Ladies and gentlemen, will you please stand? With every guitar string scar on my hand, I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover." —Taylor Swift
25. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to leave without you.”—Winne the Pooh, A.A. Milne
26. “He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”—Emily Bronte
27. “So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.” ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
28. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” ― Lao Tzu
29. “I can’t promise to solve all your problems, but I can promise you won’t have to face them alone.” —Unknown
30. “To love a person is to see all of their magic, and to remind them of it when they have forgotten.” —Unknown
Love Quotes for Her
31. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that truer friend in his wife.”—Franz Schubert
32. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.” ― Alfred Tennyson
33. “I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, every dream I’ve ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, every day we are together is the greatest day of my life.” —The Notebook
34. “There will be dozens of people who will take your breath away, but the one who reminds you to breathe is the one you should keep.” —Unknown
35. "And you will never know just how beautiful you are to me." —Ed Sheeran
36. “It’s so amazing when someone comes to your life and you expect nothing out of it, but suddenly, there, right in front of you, is everything you ever need.” —Unknown
37. “For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” ― Stephanie Perkins, Anna and the French Kiss
38. "So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink, put you to bed when you’ve had too much to drink. I could be the man who grows old with you. I wanna grow old with you." - The Wedding Singer
Unique Wedding Vows for Your Ceremony
1. “I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not, to agree to disagree on red velvet cake, and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.”—The Vow
2. “I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love. And to always know in the deepest part of my soul that no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find our way back to each other.”—The Vow
13 Tips for Writing Unique Wedding Vows:
Are you ready to get started on writing your vows? It can be a challenge, but you'll be so grateful to learn more about your love for one another. Can you imagine how you'll feel when your fiancé spills their heart out to you?! Here's some tips to help you get in the flow.
1. Choose a format and tone with your fiancé.
You don’t want to follow 2 minutes of jokes from your man with 5 minutes of tear-jerking poetry. Discuss the overall tone you want your words to have, as well as a length you both can handle.
2. Reflect on your relationship.
Before you pick up that pen, look back on your relationship. What brought you to this moment? When did you know they were ‘the one?’ When did you first start falling in love? What memories stand out? A bit of reflection can lead to a lot of writing.
3. Determine your definition of “love” and “marriage.”
Everyone has a different image when they picture the perfect marriage. How do you see it? What will your spouse do for you and what will you do for your spouse? Think about the relationships you admire and how you can use them to influence your own. Remember that this is your promise—there’s no wrong answer.
4. Highlight your favorite things about your partner.
If you’re not sure where to start, why not with compliments? Tell them why you love them, what makes them special, and the qualities they possess that make ‘forever’ possible.
5. Think in terms of promises.
Be honest with them—what can you promise them or at least say you’ll strive for? That may be standing by them through thick and thin, remembering to make their coffee in the morning or never to play the song they hate, or to love them even when you may not like them.
6. Leave out any embarrassing, TMI details.
Remember that you’ll be in front of a crowd—don’t say anything you’ll regret. Leave those TMI details for later.
7. Don’t let quotes and poems overpower your own meaningful words.
I put these 38 quotes in here for a reason, but don’t recite them for 3 minutes. Find one or two that represent your own amazing love and use them as a starting point. Your words will mean far more to your partner than someone else’s.
8. Keep your vows short and sweet.
2-3 minutes is a good length to go for. If you figure out how to say it all in just a few words, that’s fine too.
9. Remember to write a letter.
Most couples give each other a wedding gift along with a hand-written letter. If your vows get too lengthy, add some of those wonderful words to your letter. It’s also the place for those TMI details you can’t help but share.
10. Give yourself time to craft your vows.
A lot of people like to start writing the night before (or even the day of), but if you’re nervous I recommend giving yourself a little more time.
Give yourself some time to practice saying your vows, too! Be sure to say them out loud. It'll make you feel more comfortable and confident on your big day!
12. Don't read your vows to your spouse-to-be before the wedding!
Practicing is good, yes, but practicing in front of people is better! It's always good to hear an outsider's perspective as well! I'm sure your groomsmen or bridesmaids would be more than willing to help, and I would be surprised if they didn't want to hear your vows before the altar without you even asking them!
13. Save a copy.
Be sure to keep a copy of your vows, especially if you wrote your own! They'll be so special to look back on years later, and you may even want to display them in your home.
Wedding Vow Template
We don’t believe in an exact formula for writing wedding vows because every couple is unique, but we do have some guidance for writing them! You want your vows to be heartfelt, romantic, and maybe a little funny. We’ve compiled a checklist to make sure you include everything you need to create the perfect wedding vows for the love of your life.
Wedding Vows Checklist:
- Say something funny (just keep it appropriate)
- Say something serious
- Make real promises for your marriage
- Tell a short story (how you met, a funny moment you shared, how you knew they were “the one”, etc.)
- Share a memory from the beginning of your relationship
- Share a more recent memory to show how your relationship has grown
- Explain the way your partner makes you feel
- Acknowledge the other people who help you in your relationship
- Don’t forget to say I love you!
You should definitely get creative with your vows and make them personal to you and your spouse’s relationship. Just remember, you have to read these out loud in front of your entire family and all your friends.
If you know you might cry, try not to go overly emotional with your vows. Crying is perfectly normal, but you still want to be calm enough to read your vows. Making a joke in your vows can be fun but make sure it’s appropriate for the family and isn’t too lighthearted for vows that are meant to be a serious promise to your spouse.
Vow Books for Your Wedding
Vow books are beautiful little journals for you and your future spouse to write your vows in. You can use these books to brainstorm, jot down ideas, write drafts, finalize your vows, read your vows from at the ceremony, and keep as a memory of your wedding day and a future family heirloom.
*This post may contain affiliate links. While we can receive commission through affiliate links, opinions are entirely our own.*
These vow books are simple and customizable! They come in 64 different cover colors and text is available in gold foil, silver foil, rose gold foil, black, or white text. You can choose the text to say his, her, or their vows and include your names and wedding date. These are small enough to fit in your pocket and soft covered (bendable).
These hard cover wedding vow books are monogrammed with your initials in an elegant modern design. The books are available in 8 different colors and can be customized with your names and your wedding date.
These customizable wedding vow books have a soft matte velvet cover and lined white pages like a classic pocket journal. It comes in 55 different cover colors, 3 different text foil color options, and you can even add some small text to the back of the book for no extra charge.
We love the gorgeous ornate font on these custom wedding vow books! They come in 64 different colors so you can definitely find a pair that match your wedding colors! Customize them with your names and wedding date in a choice of gold, silver, or rose gold foil text.
Framed Wedding Vows for an After-the-Wedding Display
Use your vows as decor for an everyday reminder of your love! Instead of keeping your vows packed away in a box somewhere, have them framed for a visual representation of your promise to love and cherish your partner forever!
Show off your favorite wedding photo and your vows in a rustic barnwood frame. These frames come in several different custom finishes and the prints are completely customizable. Choose a photo, exactly what you want written, a frame finish, and a font option.
These incredible canvas wedding vow prints are the perfect way to display memories from your wedding. One canvas features your vows, one features your spouse’s, and another features a photo from your wedding. You can choose from 8 different sizes, from small enough to fit on a shelf to large enough to be a feature wall in your living room.
Get Started Writing Your Vows!
Did any of these love quotes or vow tips inspire you? Or, do you have a few more romantic love quotes or advice for writing them? Share them with us in the comments below!