So, you're thinking about writing your own wedding vows? You may be suffering from writer’s block, but believe us - it'll all be worth it. After all, this is the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with! You get to profess your love to them in front of your closest family and friends.
This may be the biggest day of your entire life. What will you say to seal the deal? What words will make your fiancé cry, laugh, and believe your love is forever? I’m sorry—I’m not being helpful. Here’s the thing: No matter what you say in those few precious minutes, the end result will be the same. You will have made a promise to love and cherish your fiancé forever—and you will be married. That being said, if you want to get it just right, hear it from the experts first, and get inspired!
38 Love Quotes for Your Wedding Vows
*Remember: these quotes should be used for inspiration or a creative intro. Don’t let the words of someone else overshadow your own.
Cute Quotes for Couples
1. “I can conquer the world with one hand, as long as you’re holding the other.” —Unknown
2. “And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.”—The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
3. “The Buddhists say if you meet somebody and your hands shake, your knees go weak, that’s not the one. When you meet your ‘soul mate’ you’ll feel calm. No anxiety, no agitation.”—Monica Drake
4. “There comes a time when you meet someone and you just want to make them smile for the rest of your life.” —Unknown
5. “Cause honey your soul could never grow old, it's evergreen.” ―
6. “I didn’t fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we’d choose anyway.”—The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
7. “Wherever is your heart I call home.”—Brandi Carlile
8. “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, so when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness; and then we call it love.”—Dr. Seuss
9. “You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.”—Oscar Wilde
10. “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more. That plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.”—The Notebook
11. “A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.”—Unknown
12. “I saw that you were perfect and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.”—Angelita Lim
13. "My heart's been borrowed and yours has been blue. All's well that ends well to end up with you" —Taylor Swift
14. “Because of you, I can feel myself slowly but surely becoming the me I have always dreamed of being.”—Tyler Knott Gregson
15. “When you meet the one who changes the way your heart beats, dance with them to that rhythm for as long as the song lasts.”—Kirk Diedrich
16. “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time.”—Julia Child
17. “I have seen the best of you and the worst of you, and I choose both.”—Sarah Kay
18. “I will love with urgency, but not with haste.”—Mumford & Sons
19. “You are my greatest adventure.” —Up
20. “Love is a promise; love is a souvenir. Once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.”—John Lennon
21. “Love; it will not betray you. Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free.”—Mumford & Sons
22. “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ―
23. “Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.” ―
Love Quotes for Him
24. "Ladies and gentlemen, will you please stand? With every guitar string scar on my hand, I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover." —Taylor Swift
25. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to leave without you.”—Winne the Pooh, A.A. Milne
26. “He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”—Emily Bronte
27. “So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.” ―
28. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” ―
Love Quotes for Her
31. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that truer friend in his wife.”—Franz Schubert
32. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.” ―
36. “It’s so amazing when someone comes to your life and you expect nothing out of it, but suddenly, there, right in front of you, is everything you ever need.” —Unknown
37. “For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” ―
Unique Wedding Vows for Your Ceremony
1. “I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not, to agree to disagree on red velvet cake, and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.”—The Vow
2. “I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love. And to always know in the deepest part of my soul that no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find our way back to each other.”—The Vow
13 Tips for Writing Unique Wedding Vows:
Are you ready to get started on writing your vows? It can be a challenge, but you'll be so grateful to learn more about your love for one another. Can you imagine how you'll feel when your fiancé spills their heart out to you?! Here's some tips to help you get in the flow.
1. Choose a format and tone with your fiancé.
You don’t want to follow 2 minutes of jokes from your man with 5 minutes of tear-jerking poetry. Discuss the overall tone you want your words to have, as well as a length you both can handle.
2. Reflect on your relationship.
Before you pick up that pen, look back on your relationship. What brought you to this moment? When did you know they were ‘the one?’ When did you first start falling in love? What memories stand out? A bit of reflection can lead to a lot of writing.
3. Determine your definition of “love” and “marriage.”
Everyone has a different image when they picture the perfect marriage. How do you see it? What will your spouse do for you and what will you do for your spouse? Think about the relationships you admire and how you can use them to influence your own. Remember that this is your promise—there’s no wrong answer.
4. Highlight your favorite things about them.
If you’re not sure where to start, why not with compliments? Tell them why you love them, what makes them special, and the qualities they possess that make ‘forever’ possible.
5. Think in terms of promises.
Be honest with them—what can you promise them or at least say you’ll strive for? That may be standing by them through thick and thin, remembering to make their coffee in the morning or never to play the song they hate, or to love them even when you may not like them.
6. Leave out any embarrassing, TMI details.
Remember that you’ll be in front of a crowd—don’t say anything you’ll regret. Leave those TMI details for later.
7. Don’t let quotes and poems overpower your own meaningful words.
I put these 38 quotes in here for a reason, but don’t recite them for 3 minutes. Find one or two that represent your own amazing love and use them as a starting point. Your words will mean far more to your partner than someone else’s.
8. Keep it short and sweet.
2-3 minutes is good length to go for. If you figure out how to say it all in just a few words, that’s fine too.
9. Remember to write a letter.
Most couples give each other a wedding gift along with a hand-written letter. If your vows get too lengthy, add some of those wonderful words to your letter. It’s also the place for those TMI details you can’t help but share.
10. Give yourself time.
A lot of people like to start writing the night before (or even the day of), but if you’re nervous I recommend giving yourself a little more time.
Give yourself some time to practice them too! Say them out loud, please.
12. Don't read it to your spouse-to-be before the wedding!
Practicing is good, yes, but practicing in front of people is better! It's always good to hear an outsider's perspective as well! I'm sure your groomsmen or bridesmaids would be more than willing to help, and I would be surprised if they didn't want to hear your vows before the altar without you even asking them!
13. Save a copy.
You’ll thank me later.
Shop Love Wall Decor
Every couple loves some good home decor that reflects their love for each other! Here are some cute finds I discovered online that you should order ASAP (trust me--I'm ordering them, too!).
*This article contains affiliate links through Etsy. Though we may gain commission, opinions are entirely our own.
Did any of these love quotes or vow tips inspire you? Or, do you have a few more romantic love quotes or advice for writing them? Share them with us in the comments below!
You may also like...