10 Tips for Choosing the Perfect Bridal Lingerie:
1. Don’t Procrastinate: Don’t put off purchasing your wedding undergarments until the last minute. We recommend finishing your bridal accessories shopping before your first fitting. An even better idea, if you’re particularly set on a type of lingerie or undergarment (or shoes or other accessory, for that matter), is to wear it while shopping for your dress.
2. Try It All On: Bring any and all bridal accessories to every fitting, especially your underwear and shoes. Your intimates can dramatically change how a gown fits you, just like shoes can affect the hemming.
3. Mind Your Cleavage: Keep your neckline in mind when choosing what type of bridal lingerie to shop for. If your gown is strapless, consider a strapless corset or bustier. If your gown has a plunging neckline, you’ll need something that also has a low neckline, otherwise it may peek through!
4. Keep It Smooth: Many bridal gowns, especially sheath silhouettes, will require wedding undergarments that are smooth and seamless, like a slip. Pay attention to whether ribbons, lace, or adornments are going to create bumps under your gown and then avoid those styles.
5. Prioritize: Sometimes to have the dress of your dreams, you may have to give up wearing fancy lingerie underneath. Only you can decide which is more important to you. An example: Shopping for a backless gown? You’ll need to choose a backless bra with adhesive or have a seamstress sew bra cups into your dress.
6. Match Colors: If you choose a traditional or lightly colored wedding gown, choose wedding undergarments that are white or skin-colored so they don’t show through the dress. You can always switch to more colorful attire for your wedding night! If you choose a less traditional dark wedding gown, you have more flexibility in this department.
7. Plan in Advance: Is your heart set on bridal lingerie that just doesn’t work with your dress? Pack it in your overnight bag! Trying to make additional garments work under a corset wedding dress or other heavy gown is going to be both hot and uncomfortable. Have the best of both worlds by changing once you get to your room for the night!
8. Break It In: Wear new lingerie or shapewear around the house to get an idea for how it feels and if you’ll have any support issues (rubbing from corset boning or adhesive not sticking, for example). This gives you the opportunity to fix any problems ahead of time, so you can fully enjoy your celebration!
9. Be Prepared: Buy an extra pair of stockings or hosiery for the emergency kit. You don’t need us to tell you those little buggers snag at the worst moments!
10. Have Fun: Possibly the most important tip to remember is to ENJOY shopping for your wedding! Whether it’s your dream dress, deciding what to wear on your wedding night, or another aspect of your celebration, never forget that you’re supposed to be CELEBRATING! Let yourself have fun with it!
For more help with what to wear on your wedding night, check out these related posts:
- How to Choose the Perfect Bridal Bra
- How to Use Wedding Undergarments as Your Something Blue
- What to Wear Under There