Flower crown weddings are the latest obsession of the trendy bride. We know you’ve seen them before (hello, Pinterest) and that you’ve saved tons of pins on your wedding board with brides and bridesmaids alike looking stunning in boho wedding flower crowns. Something about this simple idea of making a halo out of nature’s best is just pure genius. And trust me—I’m obsessed, too! But now that you’ve pinned all of the beautiful flower crown wedding ideas you could possibly find, what next? How do you make this idea a reality? Luckily, there are tons of options to choose from, and none of them will break the bank. Check out our guide on how to create your perfect flower crown wedding!
How to DIY Your Flower Crown WeddingIf you’re like me then you’ve attempted a few too many DIY projects that quickly became DIY fails, but don’t panic - DIY flower crowns are 100% possible and actually really easy. You don’t have to be Martha Stewart to create the boho wedding flower crown of your dreams. Your gorgeous flower crown wedding is just a few simple steps away. Let’s get crafting!
Step 1: Plan your flower crown design.Do you want more neutrals on your flower crown or vibrant colors? Do you want a simple crown or a Moana-style creation? What kind of flower to greenery ratio are you wanting? Deciding on an overall theme will help you choose your flowers and materials and eliminate some of the stress. The brides featured in this article from ProFlowers can help give you some inspo!
Step 2: Gather your materialsAKA go to Hobby Lobby. Flower crowns are constructed with three basic materials: these. Simple, right? When choosing your materials, you want items that will survive the building process and create something strong, comfortable, and of course - beautiful! I’d also buy more flowers and greenery than you think necessary because you don’t want to get home and realize you need one more fuchsia peony! Play around with the flowers and greenery in the store and make mock arrangements – that way you can get a feel for how much supplies you’ll need. Brides recommends 25 to 30 inches of floral wire in their DIY boho wedding flower crown tutorial.
Step 3: Measure the wire to your headThis is the base of your crown. Make sure it’s not too snug on your head – you want it to sit comfortably after the flowers and greenery have been added. I’d recommend making two or three loops to create an extra sturdy base. You can also use vine wire, which is thicker and covered with a thin layer of paper if you want a different option. Wanderlust even used a plain wire headband which is another inexpensive and easy option for your boho wedding flower crown!
Step 4: Wrap the entire wire with wrapping tapeThis covers the wire in case it peeks through the crown and makes it more comfortable.
Step 5: Cut the stems on your flowers and greeneryLeave two to three inches on each stem. This leaves enough room to layer and wrap around the wire. You can always cut excess stems at the end! After this, I like to arrange all of my stems in front of me to get organized before I begin to build the crown – plus this makes for a pretty flat lay photo!
Step 6: Add flowers and greenery to the crown baseAdd your first stem by connecting it to the wire with the wrapping tape - this stuff is stickier than it looks so you don’t have to over-do it, by the way. Place your next piece on the wire and wrap it. Add each following piece one by one or in bundles until your crown is full! PRO TIP:for a more natural-looking crown, reverse the direction of your flowers with every few pieces – this technique is even more gorgeous with wildflowers used in this boho flower crown.
Step 7: Fill in gaps with extra flowers and greenery and add final touchesIf you have holes or thin spots, use extra greenery and small flowers to fill them in. Some brides even add glitter or fun floral scents to make their boho wedding flower crown extra unique!
Step 8: Rock your gorgeous flower crown!Buzzfeed and Lauren Conrad, the crafting goddess of our generation! If you’re looking for extra boho flower crown wedding inspiration you should definitely browse Lauren’s website for other great DIY ideas.
Where to Buy a Flower CrownAny brides out there thinking, “Ain’t nobody got time for that?” We’ve got you covered! Not all of us are meant to be DIY brides. There are tons of wonderful places to buy gorgeous flower crowns that will look like they’ve been plucked straight out of a palace garden. Let these familiar retailers help you create the flower crown wedding of your dreams!
- Reviews are EVERYTHING. Trust your fellow shoppers and their experiences – especially the reviews with honest and detailed feedback. If a product has a large amount of perfect 5-star reviews, something might be a little fishy. Research and reviews go a long way.
- Look for quality products. A common theme with Etsy is for shops to mass produce a few products with hundreds of design options for each like with coffee mugs, pillows, and t-shirts. If an Etsy shop has hundreds of products, the chances of each product having high quality standards is very low. It’s better to make purchases from shops that dedicate time and care to each product – especially with anything related to your wedding!
- Be aware of extra fees. There’s nothing worse than finding the perfect item and getting to the checkout only to realize shipping is almost as much as the item! Make sure you know exactly what you’re paying for before you submit your payment.
- Read the fine print. Figure out where your item is shipping from and read through the return policy – you don’t want to be surprised by that later!
- If an Etsy shop has no way of contacting the shop owner you might want to choose a different shop. A good Etsy shop has quick and reliable communication channels with the owner who should provide regular shipping updates.