Did someone get down on one knee, slip a ring on your finger, and say the four little words you’ve been waiting to hear? Congratulations, you’re engaged! You’re about to embark on an incredible journey with the love of your life, and the Wedding Shoppe can’t wait to be a part of it. But where to begin? The first month after getting engaged can be a whirlwind, especially if you’re planning on tying the knot within 12 – 18 months. Below are some tips to help you get started. From engagement ring insurance to your wedding planning timeline, we’re here to help.
Top 10 Things To Do After Getting Engaged
1. Enjoy the Moment! Before you jump into the wedding planning process, take a second to savor the moment. Then take a few photos! Get that glam ring selfie, maybe in a stylish ring box! And of course plenty of photos with your husband-to-be.
2. Tell the world. Okay, maybe not the whole world. But calling your parents, grandparents, siblings, and best friend(s) is a good place to start. Make sure your loved ones hear the news from you, rather than social media. After all, getting engaged is as momentous for your loved ones as it is for you!
3. Insure your engagement ring. As soon as possible, we highly recommend getting your ring re-sized. Your heart will drop each time it slips and slides on your finger. And trust us, you’ll be showing it off a lot. You should also purchase engagement ring insurance. While the sentimental value could never be replaced, engagement ring insurance ensures that your investment will.
4. Set your wedding budget. If you and your fiancé have discussed getting engaged, you will have hopefully also discussed your wedding budget. If not, do so as soon as possible. Some of the most significant investments occur in the first weeks of the wedding planning timeline, and having a budget in place will make it a lot less stressful.
5. Select a wedding season. Setting a date may be a stretch, but selecting a season will help with your wedding planning timeline. It will also allow you to research vendors, venues, and seasonal prices. The sooner you start the better!
6. Create a wedding planning timeline. Once you select a season, it’s time to create your wedding planning timeline. There are plenty of templates available online to help you get started. Choosing vendors and venues will always be the first step, and shopping for your dream dress and wedding party attire will soon follow. Creating a wedding planning timeline will help reduce wedding stress, and make sure the process remains fun!
7. Get the family together. If possible, get your parents together for dinner and drinks. Your families will probably be involved in the planning process and giving them a chance to get to know one another, exchange numbers, and discuss your dream day will help get the ball rolling. This is also an excellent opportunity to present them with your wedding budget, discuss the guest list, and get advice!
8. Book a wedding photographer and wedding venue. I’ve asked a few of our Wedding Shoppe brides-to-be, and they all agree that choosing your venue and finding a photographer are first on the wedding to-do list. If you have your heart set on a specific venue, availability may determine your wedding date. It’s also a good idea to find your photographer right away since you’ll want to use them for your engagement photos. Not to mention, the best ones always get booked up rather quickly!
9. Plan on Pinterest. That’s right. You have my permission to spend as much time as you want on Pinterest, wedding blogs, and www.weddingshoppeinc.com. Get inspired, and create a wedding that reflects both you and your fiance. Also, keep your budget in mind as you check things off your to-do list.
10. Breathe. Getting engaged is something you have always dreamed of. Your big day will be a blast, but try to have fun during your engagement as well! Get your fiancé involved, but remember that the wedding shouldn’t take up your lives. Don't forget to take a moment to relax and pamper yourself. Go on romantic dates whenever you can to remember why you’re doing all of this in the first place.
Now go off and plan your dream day! The Wedding Shoppe will be here every step of the way.