The roaring 20’s left their (beauty) mark on history, but especially on the fashion world. With this year’s release of The Great Gatsby, it was no surprise that leading designers in the bridal industry were inspired by the old Hollywood glamour and glitz of the era. If you’re a bride who has fallen in love with this trend, you’ve probably discovered your dream sheath dress, along with an array of vintage décor. But have you considered your bridesmaids? In this post, I will tell you how to get the gorgeous Gatsby look for your ladies. From makeup, to hair, to vintage-inspired bridesmaid dresses, I’ll help you to complete your wedding day style.
Bold lips and a beauty mark for your glamorous gals.While the makeup of the 1920’s was certainly glamorous, I have compiled a few tips to modernize your ladies’ wedding day makeup.
- Skin: Start with a foundation that matches their skin tone. You’re going for a matte finish.
- Eyes: Next, use a medium to dark eye shadow and cover your lids, blending it out so that the highest part of the shadow is in the middle of your lid. The finished look should be rounded and doll-like, rather than the modern almond shape. Use eyeliner to make the eyes pop, and apply mascara after curling your lashes. Apply mascara generously to the middle lashes, instead of the ends, to highlight their length.
- Brows: In the 20’s, ladies loved their tweezers. A thin, long brow with a high arch was a must-have. Since we’re modernizing the makeup, fill the brows in with a pencil one-half shade lighter than your brow color and extend the ends just a tad.
- Cheeks: Next, use crème blush on the apples of your cheeks and blend towards the temples.
- Lips: One of the greatest trends to come from the 20’s is the iconic lip makeup! Look for a deep shade of red or purple with a matte finish. Add some lip gloss near the center for a modern touch.
- The finishing touch? A beauty mark, of course!
How about finger waves or a fabulous faux bob for your ‘maids?It may be tempting, but you can’t make all of your bridesmaids cut their hair into a bob. Don’t worry; there are plenty of Gatsby-inspired styles that don’t require scissors. First, a faux bob is actually an option! Plenty of celebrities have used this vintage trick. Finger waves, worn by Daisy in the movie, work for both short and long hair. Looking for an updo? Ask for a chignon! This updo differs from the popular bun, since the hair is left loose around the ears with pieces hanging down. Still think there’s something missing? Unique headpieces, like glitzy headbands or lace headscarves, will add the finishing touch to your wedding party style.
Discover the Dessy Collection for your vintage-inspired bridesmaid dresses.It’s apparent that bridal gown designers like Maggie Sottero, Hayley Paige, and Cristiano Lucci have been inspired by the old Hollywood glamour and glitz of the 1920’s. However, we can’t forget the ‘maids! Now, I’m not saying you should throw your ladies into flapper dresses or costumes. However, have you considered the Dessy Collection? Designed by Vivian Diamond, the Dessy Collection features vintage-inspired bridesmaid dresses that are upscale, glamorous, and modern. You can see the vintage feel in the lace embellishments, stunning necklines, and pleated panels. What’s best about these vintage-inspired bridesmaid dresses is that they show off the female shape. Choose the Dessy Collection, and your ‘maids will feel like they’ve been invited to one of Gatsby’s fabulous parties.